Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Gimmelwald, Switzerland

"If heaven’s not everything it’s cracked up to be, send me back to Gimmelwald."

I’m currently in what may be the most beautiful place in the world – Gimmelwald, Switzerland. Nestled high in the Swiss Alps (right around 4500 feet), I had to take two local trains, a bus, and a cable car to get to this location. It is inaccessible by automobile, and a cable car up the side of a mountain is the only way to get here. The nearest grocery store is 40 minutes away. I know that I’ve described many of the sites I’ve visited with a great amount of awe and wonder, but nothing I’ve ever seen is even on the same playing field as Gimmelwald. Sitting here on my hostel balcony, I see nothing but the snow-tipped Swiss Alps above, and the Lauterbrunnen Valley below. I can even see glaciers that are slowly creeping their way down the sides of the mountains. All I can hear is a waterfall that plunges about 200 meters down the mountain face to my left. For the first hour after I got here, I just stood out in front of the hostel and looked around – people that have been here for days were doing the same thing. Tomorrow, I’m going on a 9-hour hike that will take me past glaciers, snow-tipped peaks, and a sapphire glacial lake, while ascending nearly 1000 meters vertically in the process. I actually think that this may be the most awe-inspiring place I’ll ever visit in my life. Hopefully it won’t be, but it certainly is right now. To see pictures of the exact hostel I’m staying at, check out:

http://www.gimmelwald.com/hostel.html

When I first saw those pictures, I was skeptical as to whether Gimmelwald would actually be as nice as they show. Now that I’m here, I can tell you that those pictures don’t even do it justice. I’ll be here for four nights, and I’m going to savor every last minute of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures from the website look like postcards. Can't wait to see your pictures. Be safe , have fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon, OH MY GOSH!!!! I have watched these videos over and over, if these alps look this beautiful on the videos I can only imagine how they look in person. You must feel like you are in a dream surrounded by all this beauty. I love the narration on the videos, LOL. And did you make it down the snowy trail in one piece? It looks like it is straight down and you were sliding. LOVE THE VIDEOS!! I felt like I was right there with you. AWESOME!! Can't wait to see the pics from your stay there. Such beauty, hard to believe you're there. Hearing your voice I felt connected to you again. Enjoy your stay,really looking forward to your next post...stay safe, love you, MOM